It seems that the mobile technology market is finally coming out of stagnation. He is no longer a member of 90% of the 2 gigantic companies that are viewed by small players obsequiously. Manufacturers stopped stamping outwardly identical monoblocks and began to think about how to really surprise buyers.
In the affairs of the program also found the beginnings of competition. Triumvirate in the composition of Android, iOS and Windows Mobile of that and look collapse under the pressure of the lesser-known "OSes" - Firefox OS, Tizen OS, and, of course, Jolla Sailfish OS. The latest OS has the greatest chances to climb the pedestal, because 2 major powers are interested in it at once - Russia and China. Where did Sailfish Mobile OS come from and how it is better than popular operating systems, you will learn from this article.
- Откуда взялась Sailfish OS? 1 Where did Sailfish OS come from?
- Чем хороша Sailfish OS? 2 What good is Sailfish OS?
- Есть ли у Sailfish недостатки? 3 Does Sailfish have flaws?
- Какие телефоны на Sailfish можно купить? 4 What kind of Sailfish phones can I buy?
- Можно ли установить Sailfish OS на смартфон самостоятельно? 5 Can I install Sailfish OS on my smartphone on my own?
- Будущее — за Sailfish? 6 Future for Sailfish?
Where did Sailfish OS come from?
In 2011, two technology giants Nokia and Intel, in partnership, decided to create an operating system, the hallmark of which was the ability to adapt to any user requirements. This is how MeeGo appeared - an extremely curious "OS" that was used on just one smartphone model, the Nokia N9.
Russian users had few opportunities to get acquainted with MeeGo, because the Nokia N9 was not sold in domestic retail. Abroad, MeeGo received a lot of positive feedback from both ordinary users and experts - but it still quickly disappeared. Nokia refused to develop this OS and decided to focus on Windows Mobile, which seemed to her a more promising project.
However, a group of enthusiasts that formed the new company Jolla and took up the development of MeeGo broke away from Nokia, on the basis of which Sailfish Mobile OS has grown. The beta version of Sailfish OS 1.0 appeared in November 2013. After 2 years, Jolla released the second version of "OSes", relevant to this day.
In 2015, another significant event took place with Jolla: the Russian entrepreneur G. Berezkin, a representative of the top 200 most successful businessmen in Russia, appeared in the company as the main shareholder. Berozkin launched the company OMP (Open Mobile Platform) on the territory of the Russian Federation, the purpose of which was the creation of Sailfish Mobile OS RUS, the Russian “popular” operating system based on the software components of the original Sailfish.
In the fall of 2016, Sailfish Mobile OS RUS was completed and added to the register of domestic software at the Ministry of Communications. In other words, the native Russian version of the Finnish Sailfish OS has appeared.
What is good Sailfish OS?
Sailfish has many advantages - just a few of them:
- Availability immediately 2 app stores . There is no Google Play on Sailfish, but in the menu you can find Yandex.Store icons and your own Jolla store. Android apps (which are compatible with Sailfish) are available on Yandex.Store, and only those programs specifically written for the Finnish OS are offered in the Jolla store. Of course, there are only a few of these so far - so integration with Android applications seems like a sensible solution.
- Full freedom when working with files. Sailfish is a kind of antipode of iOS: this OS is completely open . The user can, without any media combines, throw files of any type into the smartphone's memory and open them with applications from Jolla. If necessary, you can even activate the developer mode or run a full-featured Terminal.
- Original interface. The Sailfish interface may seem outlandish to a user accustomed to iOS or Android. Many operations are performed differently than on Android and iOS - for example, in order to change the keyboard >
- Minimum programs "by default". Unlike Android and iOS, Sailfish does not oblige the user to use the pre-installed navigation or mail and does not impose anything. By default, the menu contains only the most necessary - “Contacts”, “Gallery”, “Messages”, “Browser” and so on.
- Integration with many cloud services. There are at least a dozen services in which Sailfish is able to upload data. The user can choose which one to use - there are popular options, like Google Drive, and more exotic ones (Flickr).
- Enhanced security. Sailfish supports encryption at the operating system level and boasts strong MDM algorithms. It is for this reason that the state sector of Russia, as well as some large corporations, “stare” at the Finnish operating system.
Sailfish 2 has a call recording feature. This can also be attributed to the advantages of “OSes”, because, for example, on iOS, recording phone conversations with built-in tools is impossible - Apple believes that call fixing violates the human right to privacy of personal data.
Does Sailfish have flaws?
The disadvantages of Sailfish OS is also not devoid. Among the main users are the following:
- No Swipe Keyboard.
- Mediocre integration of applications with each other. On Android, say, a snapshot from the gallery can be sent anywhere - at least to the messenger, at least to the “cloud”. Sailfish cannot boast of the same.
- Lack of voice control.
All the described disadvantages are eliminated from the category. So it is quite possible that Jolla will save Sailfish OS from them with the next updates.
What kind of Sailfish phones can I buy?
Gadgets running Sailfish, while quite a bit - with all of them can be found on the official website of the company Jolla .
The Jolla smartphone was officially sold in Russia (the Buyon online store was distributing ), but it did not become popular. The reason is that many consider the inflated price (about 20 thousand rubles) with mediocre technical characteristics.
The second phone from Jolla with Sailfish "on board" was released in 2016. He got a better screen and a more capacious battery, but the performance and the camera remained below average.
Buy Jolla C is now available in the online store " Bayon " at a fairly reasonable price - about 8 thousand rubles.
Around the same time, when Jolla was preparing to release a C-smartphone, other vendors became interested in Sailfish OSes, though not the most famous ones. Finnish OS was equipped with the world's first modular smartphone Fairphone 2 , which recently became the hero of the news again.
Another gadget on Sailfish Jolla presented a duet with the young Indian company Intex at MWC 2016. The smartphone was named Aqua Fish and the design, almost completely copied from the first Jolla.
Perhaps the Aqua Fish gadget would succeed in Russia - for its small price (about $ 80) it has very decent characteristics. However, on the territory of the Russian Federation, it is not officially sold. You can order the device from Intex except on eBay .
The operating system Sailfish in 2016 received another extremely interesting device - Turing Phone , named after the famous British mathematician. Turing Phone is interesting because it consists of the so-called liquid morphium - a material that is stronger than titanium and steel.
However, Turing would hardly have approved the fact that his name appears in such a dubious project. The company Turing Phone disgraced on all fronts: not only did she start sending out gadgets on preorders after a whole year (!), But also sent not what she promised. Initially, Turing Phone was supposed to be Android; when and why the manufacturer decided to resort to Sailfish - a mystery.
In the same 2016, the Open Mobile Platform company announced the first unit on Sailfish OS RUS "Ermak" with a phenomenal cost of 2 thousand dollars. Yermak is distinguished by outstanding reliability - in particular, it is capable of transmitting information through closed communication channels.
From the sales of "Ermak" "disown" all the major networks, reasonably believing that with such a price tag on the mass market smartphone nothing to do.
In 2017, the company OMP still released a publicly available smartphone that runs on the Russian version of Sailfish - INOI R7 . This gadget has a high degree of protection of personal data, and therefore is positioned as a smartphone for the corporate sector.
You can buy INOI R7 in the online store Buyon - the cost of the device is about 12 thousand rubles.
Can I install Sailfish OS on my smartphone on my own?
On many of the modern smartphones, you can install unofficial firmware Sailfish - a complete list of gadgets here . However, this task is not an easy one: you will have to use the Android SDK utilities, unlock the current bootloader and install a new one. A person who does not consider himself an advanced user, it is better not to climb into this "rabbit hole".
There is an opinion that manufacturers will soon make it possible to switch from one “OS” to another official one . In the meantime, the official "relocation" is available only to owners of Sony Xperia X - and then on a reimbursable basis. Under the current agreement between Jolla and Sony, for replacing Android with Sailfish, the Xperia X user will have to pay almost 50 euros.
Future for Sailfish?
Sailfish OS looks promising - there are several reasons to believe that this “OS” has a good future:
- Sailfish actively cooperates with the Japanese "giant" Sony. At MWC 2017, the companies together presented the Sony Xperia X running on the Finnish OS. In August, in general, there was news about Xperia X, which works on 2 "operating systems" at once . Getting a strong partner was very important to Jolla.
- At the same exhibition, Jolla entered into cooperation with Sailfish China - a company that develops software for smartphones, smart watches and other gadgets. According to the agreement between the firms, the Chinese should invest $ 250 million in the development of Sailfish.
Sailfish data protection capabilities have attracted not only Chinese, but also Russia and India. If these two states continue to invest in the development of the Finnish "OSes", then for sure it will not have to worry about its future.