It seems that soon there will be no such area where a giant octopus named Yandex wouldn’t launch its tentacles. Apparently, this company also decided to settle on the mobile electronics market - on December 5, it introduced the first Yandex.Telephone. However, many experts suggest that the first device of the company may be the last.
What caused such skepticism and what Yandex.Telephone is capable of, we will tell in the article.
- Технические характеристики «Яндекс.Телефона» 1 Specifications "Yandex. Phone"
- Сколько стоит «Яндекс.Телефон» и где купить аппарат? 2 How much does Yandex.Telephone cost and where to buy the device?
- Перспективы первого смартфона от «Яндекс» 3 Prospects for the first smartphone from Yandex
Specifications "Yandex. Phone"
It is not clear what Yandex was so annoyed with the M.Video company - only she took and posted a description of Yandex.Telephone several days before the official presentation. The product card was quickly removed, but the characteristics of the device managed to scatter over the Internet. However, no one was surprised at the device's parameters, since they coincided with those that well-known mobile analyst E. Murtazin shared in early in November in one of his insiders. Here is a photo he posted on Twitter:
After the official presentation, it turned out that Yandex.Telephone has:
- 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal memory (memory expands to 128 GB).
- Screen with an aspect ratio of 18: 9 and a resolution of FullHD + (5.65 inches diagonal).
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 processor (8 cores).
- Battery capacity of 3060 mAh.
- Dual rear camera (16 megapixel + 5 megapixel, LED flash) and a 5 megapixel front camera.
- NFC chip, quick charge Quick Charge 3.0, fingerprint scanner .
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio chip with a DAC (very appropriate, as a gift for a smartphone is a subscription to Yandex.Music).
- Built-in voice assistant " Alice " (instead of the traditional "OK, Google"). It starts with the phrase "Listen, Alice."
The operating system for the device is Android 8.1 Oreo with the Yandex.Loncher shell.
The design of the device is quite ordinary, if not more, boring. The body is made of plastic and glass, reinforced with a metal frame. Dust and moisture protection is not. It is noteworthy that the Yandex developers abandoned MicroUSB in favor of USB Type-C , but left the standard connector for connecting 3.5-Jack headphones.
How much does Yandex.Telephone cost and where to buy the device?
From December 6, the gadget can be bought for 17 990 rubles in the Moscow Store and the Yandex Museum. One day later, this device will be launched by the M.Video and Eldorado chains, as well as the Beru online store, at the same price. According to rumors, Beeline was supposed to distribute Yandex.Telephone, but there is no news from this retail network.
It is noteworthy that, in the appendix to the smartphone, “Yandex” offers buyers a lot of intangible bonuses. Including half a year subscription to Yandex.Plus, which includes:
- 12% discount on Yandex car sharing services.
- Access to Yandex.Music.
- Opportunity to watch new films in excellent quality at Kinopoisk.
- Additional 10 GB on Yandex.Disk (or a discount of 30% on cloud storage services).
- Free delivery of purchases in the new “Beru” marketplace.
- 10% discount for Yandex.Taxi - Comfort services.
And that is not all. The buyer of the smartphone from Yandex receives 500 rubles for Yandex.Koshelek, 10% cashback from all purchases made on Yandex.Money, and finally a “solid” discount for taxi services (usual) in the amount of 300 rubles. A person who regularly rides a taxi and fundamentally dislikes torrents, such a package will surely be to your taste.
Enthusiasts have already calculated that a free subscription to Yandex.Plus allows you to save an average of 3,000 rubles for all half a year. That is, the smartphone actually costs 14,990 rubles. Note that for regular users, a subscription costs 169 rubles per month.
Prospects for the first smartphone from Yandex
The mobile market experts are extremely skeptical about Yandex.Telephone. There are several reasons for this:
- Almost 18 thousand rubles is very expensive, especially considering that Yandex (in their own words) does not claim to be a premium segment. Characteristics of the device clearly do not match the price. First of all, it concerns the processor. Snapdragon 630 - a budget chip. For example, Xiaomi has several models at once on the 630th (Redmi Note 5, Mi A2, Redmi S2), which are 35-40% cheaper.
- “Yandex” already once “burned”. The company tried to enter the mobile market in 2011, but not with a smartphone, but with an operating system (Yandex.Kit). Then everything ended in failure.
- The gadget is made in China. In the unified register of notifications, the manufacturer is the Swiss company “JSC Yandex Services AG”, however, on the box, which Murtazin photographed, it is written that the device is from China. In fact, the prototype of “Yandex.Smartphone” is Arima Z2, a gadget from the Middle Kingdom, presented in early 2018. The fact that the first phone from Yandex was made on the basis of the Chinese nouneym is certainly bad news for Russian users. Any replacement part will have to be ordered on one of the eastern marketplaces and wait one and a half to two months.
Yandex naively relies on Alice and its own services, which are installed on the smartphone by default. They are inspired, probably, by the example of Yandex.Station - the first batch of these devices was sold out in just one day.
However, judging objectively, “Yandex.Telephone”, alas, does not have serious advantages over competitors - therefore, the position of the same Murtazin, who predicts a failure to the smartphone, is understandable. It seems that Yandex itself doesn’t really believe in the heavy success of the product, since the first batch of smartphones is quite small - only 5,000 units.