An ignorant person has the impression that buying a device with a fingerprint sensor will cause him only positive emotions. But practice shows that this is not always the case. In today's article, we will explain why some people don’t use a fingerprint scanner - why it seems useless to them. But one cannot fail to notice that the sensor has a number of advantages - we will also talk about them.
The essence of the sensor
By the words “fingerprint sensor” we mean a small scanner that recognizes the pattern on the skin of the finger applied to it. Previously, such a sensor was too expensive, and therefore it was used only in banks, as well as in some government and military institutions. And the size of the scanner was too large, which is why none of the smartphone manufacturers even thought about introducing it. But technologies are developing - since about 2015, all flagships have begun to be equipped with this element. Moreover, the cost of a fingerprint scanner has declined sharply, which is why it began to appear in not the most expensive devices.
First of all, a fingerprint sensor is designed to protect the contents of the smartphone from prying eyes. If the other person picks up your device, then he will not be able to go beyond the lock screen. The fingerprint of any of his fingers will be different, and therefore he will not be able to unlock the device. In theory, a scanner can be fooled. But this is such a time-consuming process that only special services can cope with it, and even then not always.
Also, such a sensor is used to ensure the security of payments. If you used to enter a password to confirm payment, now you don’t need to remember it - just put your finger on the scanner. It is very convenient! In the same Play Market, people do not include confirmation of payment with a password, as they simply forget it. As a result, then they are faced with the fact that their children sometimes completely unconsciously make many purchases of paid applications and games. Using a fingerprint scanner, this problem is solved in the root!
Let's find out what are smartphones with a fingerprint scanner.
- As mentioned above, your child will not be able to unconsciously buy something on Google Play , because for this he will need to put your finger on the sensor. Of course, an intelligent child will circumvent the problem by using your hand when you are sleeping. But for children at this age, it is better to provide their own tablet or smartphone, the account of which will not be tied to a bank card.
- Fingerprint unlock time is significantly reduced. Surprisingly, some fingerprint sensors work very quickly. Much faster than if you swipe your finger across the screen.
- A stranger will not be able to access the information contained in the smartphone's memory. And if you use the encryption function, the memory card will not be available to the attacker, even if he inserts it into the card reader of his computer.
- In Android 6.0, fingerprint sensor support is implemented at the operating system level. This means that you can use your fingerprint in a wide variety of applications . For example, this can be done in a browser, logging in to sites without entering a username and password. Again, this is ideal for those people who do not want to keep many different passwords in their memory - a fingerprint replaces all of them.
Of course, like any new technology, the fingerprint scanner has several disadvantages.
- Low-cost smartphones integrate budget sensors belonging to the first generations of this technology. They process information for a long time - sometimes up to one or even one and a half seconds. There are times when a fingerprint is not recognized the first time . If such a sensor is at the disposal of your device, then you will quickly get tired of using it to unlock it. Within a few days, you will prefer other methods, since they allow you to spend less time on the process.
- A fingerprint scanner does not need a tablet if several family members use it . Of course, modern sensors allow you to memorize several fingerprints. But even with this possibility, problems may arise when a child wants to use the device. Each unlock will require a finger to be attached to the scanner. And not the fact that little toddler boys will be stably recognized. If the device is intended for the whole family, then in most cases the fingerprint scanner will turn off, as it introduces additional difficulties.
- The fact that another person cannot use your smartphone is not just about virtues. If something happens to you, then people who are nearby, a medical team or police officers will not be able to call your relatives , as they simply will not be able to unlock your phone. However, nobody wants to think about all sorts of troubles.
- On Apple's smartphones, all fingerprints are stored in encrypted form. But on Android devices, for some time the situation was much worse. All this data was stored in local memory in an unprotected form . Some hackers with great desire can gain access to this information. Fortunately, this problem has been resolved in new smartphones.
To some people, the above shortcomings may seem far-fetched. But actually it is not. Although no one will argue that smartphones with a fingerprint scanner have more advantages. Not for nothing, Google has implemented fingerprint sensor support at the deepest level in its operating system. It is possible that in the future even the cheapest smartphones will be equipped with them.
In the meantime, be sure to read the reviews on the device that you want to purchase. If it is equipped with an old sensor, then users will definitely notice the fact of a long unlock with a fingerprint. In this case, it is better to consider some other model, a little more modern.
Popular fingerprint smartphones
It is assumed that in the future phones with a fingerprint scanner will drop in price, and therefore devices without this sensor will practically disappear. Yes, and now the list of such smartphones is quite large. Here are just a few devices:
- Apple iPhone 7 is one of the most expensive smartphones . Its popularity is so high that it makes no sense to talk about it in full detail.
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus - this smartphone has a display diagonal increased from 4.7 to 5.5 inches. The device also boasts a dual camera .
- Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro is a relatively inexpensive device with a five-inch screen, whose resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels. The width of the frames on the sides of the display is minimized.
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S is an inexpensive smartphone equipped with an HD display and a 13 megapixel camera. There is support for LTE-Advanced.
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - a device that is sold around the world in huge numbers. People like the technical specifications and the curved AMOLED display around the edges. The smartphone has an excellent camera, the aperture of which opens to a value of f / 1.7.
- Samsung Galaxy S7 - the second flagship of the South Korean company. Its 5.1-inch display is flat - its corners are not curved. For the rest, the device is absolutely no different from its counterpart with the posts “Edge”.
- Apple iPhone SE is a budget “apple” product, if it can be called such at a cost of 25-30 thousand rubles. This is one of the most compact smartphones among those that are equipped with decent features. The only sad thing here is the lack of a slot for a memory card.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is a device with a 13-megapixel camera (f / 2.0 aperture) and three gigabytes of RAM. The battery capacity is brought to an impressive 4100 mAh.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) - the best value for money, if we consider South Korean smartphones. Unlike its predecessor, the device received water resistance and an improved camera (16 megapixel resolution and f / 1.9 aperture).
- Meizu M3 Note is a device that has been on the market for quite some time. But it is endowed with quite worthy characteristics, in connection with which the smartphone will not lose its relevance for a long time.
- Meizu MX6 - Works with Android 6.0. It has a good camera, a screen with Full HD resolution, a powerful ten-core processor and a large number of wireless modules.
- ASUS ZenFone 3 ZE520KL is a device with an increased pixel density up to 424 PPI. Built on the basis of an eight-core chipset from Qualcomm, and the number of wireless technologies supported by the smartphone includes even Wi-Fi 802.11ac.
- Huawei P9 Lite - this device was created on the basis of the eight-core HiSilicon processor. It has a 13-megapixel camera that can record video at 60 frames / s.
- Vernee Thor is one of the most affordable 4G devices with a fingerprint scanner on the back. At the same time, the creators did not save either on the amount of RAM (3 GB) or on the processor (8 cores).
- OnePlus 3T is a phablet with a huge amount of memory. Everything is in order with him and with all other characteristics. Many specialized publications consider him the best Chinese smartphone .