As of 2019, there are two relevant operating systems that share the mobile device market. In addition, there are several stable and operating operating systems about the potential of which it is quite difficult to reason. The reason for their "unpopularity" lies not in the absence of any functions, but in high competition - the monopolists of the Google market with their Android OS simply will not give way.
You can count the manufacturers of mobile equipment that did not use the Android OS in their devices on the fingers of one hand. The share of Android in the OS market exceeds 80% (!). Such statistics make it possible to judge that Android is the most popular operating system for mobile devices. California-based Android Inc. was formed in 2008, later it was bought by the search giant Google.
On September 3, 2019, a new version of Android 10 was released. Starting with it, only numbers will be used in the title. Its release will bring a number of new functions to smartphones and further improvements in stability, security, and optimization. Despite this, there are rumors that Google experts consider Android an obsolete system, so they are preparing its full replacement. The successor may be Fuchsia OS .
The first mention of it appeared back in 2016, but there were no comments from Google, which gave rise to a number of speculations. The most interesting version says that the replacement of the existing OS will occur completely by 2023, and from 2021 Fuchsia OS will begin to be installed on devices for a smart home. This information was refuted by the head of Chrome OS and Android Hiroshi Lockheimer at the Google I / O 2019 conference. According to him, the development of the new OS is indeed underway. The system can work with any device from laptops to smart home appliances, but the developer has no specific plans for it. This is an experimental OS that is being tested for various purposes, but its fate has not yet been determined.
Some of the benefits of Android include:
- Open source - any qualified programmer can write an application and put it in the official Android Play Market. In addition, smartphone manufacturers have their own stores.
- Convenience of data transfer - if the user wants to load his favorite song or video into the smartphone’s memory, he just needs to connect the gadget to the computer via a USB cable and transfer the file from one folder to another. There is no need to “fight” with additional software.
- Price - you can find a smartphone on Android at a price of only 2 thousand rubles. The fact that Androids are available to both pensioners and students is the reason for the company's total dominance in the OS market.
- Customization - there are a lot of possibilities to “hone" the Android interface for yourself. Some options change the appearance of the OS so much that it’s hard to find the source in it.
Among the minuses are the fast discharge of the battery due to the constant use of the Internet and vulnerability to hacker attacks - you should take care of installing a high-quality antivirus immediately after purchase.
iOS was developed by Apple and is only available on iPhone and iPad. As of 2019, it ranks second in terms of presence in the market. The current version is iOS 12, but iOS 13 will begin installation on September 19, 2019. Among the most anticipated innovations are the “dark” mode and the QuickPath function (you can type a word by swiping your finger on the keyboard).
IOS features are as follows:
- Security - the system functions in such a way that a virus attack is completely excluded.
- Rich store. There are just over 1 million applications in the AppStore - quantitatively, iOS loses Android in this regard, but you need to remember that the OS has closed code, therefore, all applications are written only by professional programmers and are of high quality.
- A virtual assistant to the owner of the iPhone Siri , able to execute commands and even conduct dialogue with a person.
- It is believed that the iOS interface is more understandable for the user and requires a minimum of time for its development.
iOS is also not without flaws. For example, a user will have to download a song to the device’s memory through a special iTunes program. Difficulties in data transfer - a kind of payment for increased security. There is only one application store - and most of the software offered is distributed on a paid basis.
Windows 10 MOBILE
The few owners of Windows 10 Mobile phones are waiting for the bad news - on December 10, 2019, the latest system updates will be released, after which its support will be completely discontinued. Microsoft recommends that all users switch to gadgets with Android and iOS and, if possible, do not delay, as services will be gradually turned off. 12 months after the termination of support, that is, in December 2020, Windows 10 Mobile will cease to exist, and all devices with it will become useless.
Operating system for push-button devices, developed on the basis of Linux. For a modern person, current mobile phones with a physical keyboard are in most cases devices for calls and SMS. KaiOS aims to change the way users view and make these gadgets more functional.
Among the features:
- Support GPS, LTE, Wi-Fi.
- Support for applications written in HTML
- Energy Efficiency - The system will not land the battery.
- Support for devices with RAM from 256 MB.
- Own application store.
Despite the fact that KaiOS appeared only in 2017, it has already attracted a lot of attention and received serious investments. In 2018, Google invested in it 22 million dollars. In addition, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook are preinstalled on devices with this system. This suggests that she has a bright future and we can expect her wide distribution in the coming years.
It’s important to understand that KaiOS is not a competitor to iOS or Android. She has a different guideline - weak phones with a keypad. At this stage of development, the current version 2.6.0, released in May 2019.
Harmony OS is the brainchild of Huawei , which has not yet been released, but according to representatives of the company is a fully functional product, ready for release at any time. The development of the system began back in 2012, but after the conflict between Huawei and the US authorities in the spring of 2019, the company had to speed up work on it. By August 2019, it was announced that the OS was completely ready.
Initially, Harmony OS was created for wearable electronics, but due to the peculiarities of its structure, you can put it on any device - from a car radio to a laptop. At the moment, the system was not presented in any device, and the next release will take place at the end of 2019 on Huawei Smart TV. There is no exact information about when Harmony OS will begin to be installed in smartphones, but according to some rumors, the upcoming Huawei and Honor devices in the Chinese market may come out with their own OS. In addition, in the event of new US sanctions, Huawei will be able to transfer all its smartphones to Harmony OS in 2 days.
- High level of security.
- Fast response on any device.
- Virtualization - easy porting of applications from any operating system.
The OSs listed above are not the only ones. However, those options that also exist and work are not widely represented on the market and have a narrow focus. An example is Fire OS , an operating system from Amazon. With her, several devices were released that did not go to the masses. In 2019, it is presented only in the company's TV set-top boxes, although it can be used on smartphones. Lineage OS based on Android is another example. The system supports about 185 devices (including Pixel 3), is placed on top of an existing Android. The stable version supports Android 9.0 Pie, and already in December 2019, developers promise to release a working assembly on Android 10.