Partly parental control can be configured on Android without using special applications. But if you plan to restrict your child’s access not only to the Play Store , but also to websites with inappropriate content or potentially dangerous programs, you will have to use special software. Next, we’ll show you how to set up parental controls on your phone.
- Kaspersky Safe Kids 1 Kaspersky Safe Kids
- Как настроить Kaspersky Safe Kids 1.1 How to configure Kaspersky Safe Kids
- Родительский контроль в Play Маркет 2 Parental controls in the Play Store
- Google Family Link 3 Google Family Link
- Как настроить Google Family Link 3.1 How to set up Google Family Link
- Другие способы ограничить доступ к смартфону 4 Other ways to restrict access to your smartphone
Kaspersky Safe Kids
Kaspersky Safe Kids is perhaps the most popular parental control application from Kaspersky . The program blocks potentially dangerous content for children and allows you to limit the time you use your smartphone. Opportunities:
- Automatic blocking of dangerous sites and content.
- Time limits for using the device.
- Displaying the child’s location on an online map in real time (only in the PRO version) with the ability to indicate a “safe” perimeter that cannot be left.
- Notifications and reports.
In addition, Kaspersky Safe Kids allows you to monitor the child’s activity on Facebook, VKontakte social networks . Despite the fact that most of the features are available only in the paid PRO version of the application, in the free one almost all the necessary parental control functions are available.
How to configure Kaspersky Safe Kids
An account is required to work with Kaspersky Safe Kids . Therefore, before downloading the application, be sure to create an account on the official website . How to set up parental controls:
Attention : for Kaspersky Safe Kids to work, you need to use one account for parents and children.
Step 1 Download and install Kaspersky Safe Kids on your child’s phone. At the first launch, you will need to familiarize yourself with the license agreement, allow the application to make and manage calls, and then log in to your account (you can create an account on the official Kaspersky website).
Step 2 To set up parental control, indicate that the child will use the smartphone. After that, create a profile for the child - enter the name, date of birth.
Step 3 Make the application an administrator to configure parental control on the child’s smartphone and add Kaspersky Safe Kids to autorun.
Step 4 In the accessibility settings, activate the Kaspersky Safe Kids service . This is necessary so that the application can process user actions and collect data. After that, give the application the remaining permissions.
Step 5 You can monitor the child’s actions and configure other parameters from another phone. To do this, simply install Kaspersky Safe Kids on your smartphone and select the parent account.
Parental controls can also be configured from a computer. To do this, log in to your account on the official Kaspersky website . Kaspersky Safe Kids application is free, but if you want to access additional functionality, it is better to purchase the PRO version.
Parental controls on the Play Store
If you need to restrict access only to digital content from the Play Store , then you can use the built-in Android functionality. At the same time, without special applications it is impossible to prohibit the launch of applications already installed on the smartphone, the use of a browser, or changing other settings. How to put parental control in the Play Store :
Step 1 Launch the Play Store on your smartphone and go to "Settings" . To do this, swipe to the right or click on the icon in the form of three stripes.
Step 2 In the "Personal" section , click on "Parental Controls" . Here, move the slider to the “Enabled” state and create a PIN code.
Step 3 In the content filtering settings, check the maximum acceptable rating for games and applications, movies, music. To do this, select the desired one and be sure to click "Save" .
After that, all content available in the Play Store will be filtered according to the settings set. To disable parental control, you will need to enter a PIN code.
Google family link
Google Family Link is a free parental control app from Google LLC . The utility is distributed in two versions (for children, for parents) and allows you to restrict access to certain Google services and applications from third-party developers. Other features:
- Tracking the actions of the child (statistics of the most popular applications, time of use).
- Lists of recommended content for downloading (depending on the chosen age).
- Time limits for using the smartphone during the day, as well as the ability to completely lock the device at night.
- Remote control to lock.
- Control purchases and downloads of digital content (games, music, movies)
You can also set up various notifications using Google Family Link . For example, to receive alerts if a child tries to circumvent the restriction.
How to set up Google Family Link
The Google Family Link app is available in two versions. The first is installed on the device of the parent, the second on the smartphone of the child. How to set parental controls through Google Family Link :
Step 2 For parental control, you need to create a family group and make your account (parent) an administrator. You can do this directly through Google Family Link. To do this, click "Start . " If you are already an administrator, then you will have a “Continue” button.
Step 3 If the child already has a Google account (mail should end with @gmail), then click "Yes" , otherwise create it. After that click "Next". A code will appear on the screen that you must enter in Google Family Link (for children) .
Attention : further parental control is configured on the child's phone.
Step 4 Download and install the Google Family Link app (for children) on your child’s smartphone. At first launch, select your child’s account. If other accounts are connected on the phone, their data will be completely deleted from the device.
Step 5 Enter the code that appears on the Google Family Link screen (for parents) and enter your Gmail account password again. After that click "Next" .
Step 6 If the child’s account is not yet a member of a family group, then consent to participate must be confirmed. To do this, click "Join" . After that, check out the list of actions that the parent account will be able to carry out on this phone.
Step 7 Click “Allow” to enable parental control on the phone and enable the profile manager. To do this, click "Activate device administrator."
Step 8 Enter a name for the device and immediately mark the applications that the child will not be able to run (you can change at any other time). This completes the setup phase.
After that, you can set various restrictions on the child’s phone (using the “parental” Google Family Link application) and monitor its activity on the Internet.
Other ways to restrict access to your smartphone
If necessary, you can restrict access to a smartphone (not necessarily a child) in other ways. Especially if one device is used by several people. Consider them below:
- Utilities that allow you to set passwords to run certain applications. Suitable for those who want to restrict access to specific files or programs.
- Create a guest profile. Some smartphones support multiple accounts. Therefore, you can create a guest profile for your child so that he does not have access to your personal files and applications.
- Children's versions of applications. In order not to completely deny access to the application, use the children's version (for example, Youtube Kids ), which automatically blocks inappropriate content.
- Provider restrictions. If you want to really restrict your child’s access to inappropriate content, then pay attention to the special offers of providers. So you can completely restrict your child’s access to certain web portals when connected via home Wi-Fi .
To protect the child from potentially dangerous content, it is recommended to use comprehensive measures. In addition, do not forget to update privacy settings and various restrictions that will help to block unwanted web portals and applications in time.