The small battery life of a smartphone is an urgent problem for a modern person who needs to always stay in touch. Due to this lack of gadgets, users are forced to regularly incur additional costs - for the purchase of external batteries , for paid charging services in stores, even for the purchase of "second" phones that can "secure" the main device if it "sits down".
However, the fact that the gadget is quickly discharged, as a rule, the user himself is much more to blame than the manufacturer. Following some rules of charging a smartphone, you can significantly increase the duration of its battery life.
Why does the phone charge quickly?
The user should not be surprised at the fact that a simple “dialer” is able to work without an outlet for 1-2 weeks, while the smartphone sits down just a day after the last charge. The functionality of push-button telephones is usually so primitive that there is simply nothing to plant a battery. At the same time, smartphones have a whole arsenal of additional options, thanks to which they can successfully replace navigators, cameras, game consoles and other highly specialized devices. All these options quickly "eat up" amperes.
Here are the main enemies of smartphone batteries:
- Wi-fi If the Wi-Fi module is turned on, battery consumption is much faster. If on the smartphone the distribution of wireless Internet is also activated, you can see how the countdown of the percentage of battery charging goes right before our eyes. The important point is that the included Wi-Fi discharges the battery more during periods of network search than during a permanent connection. That is why leaving the reception area is worth not just switching to LTE, but also turn off Wi-Fi.
- Geolocation . Thanks to the included geolocation, the user of the mobile device is able to track his location on the map and find out how far to the destination. Many people do not feel such a need, but because on their smartphones, geolocation works in vain, devouring precious milliamps.
- Long conversations . In the specifications, the approximate battery life of gadgets is always indicated in 2 versions: in standby mode and in talk mode . Talk time is significantly shorter. If possible, the user should replace live communication with correspondence in social networks and instant messengers if he wants his device to stay longer without recharging.
Contrary to popular belief, applications that are open on a smartphone in the background have almost no effect on battery consumption. Starting the program from scratch is a much more energy-consuming procedure, therefore, if you use any application constantly , it makes no sense to close it every time.
The reason for fast battery drain is not always at the software level. Perhaps the whole thing is a technical malfunction, poor battery quality or wear. Every battery has its own life, which is measured in the number of charge cycles. Upon reaching the threshold value, the smartphone starts to sit faster with each new charge.
The iPhone has an approximate battery life of 500 cycles - this is from one and a half to two years of use. From the 501st cycle, the battery of the "apple" gadget is beginning to lose efficiency. Upon reaching the 1000th cycle, the battery capacity, as a rule, is only 50% of the original. You can find out the number of charge cycles on your iPhone using Battery Life .
Slow charging: what is the reason?
The reason that the smartphone is charging slowly is hardly a malfunction of the gadget and its components. Most likely, the problem lies in the elements of the charger or in the power source.
If the smartphone is not charging from the outlet, but from the port of a laptop or PC, you should not expect that the battery will be filled to the brim in the usual time. A USB port of 2.0 format provides only 2.5 watts of power , while approximately 5 watts is required to recharge a 3000 mAp battery. Better with the task of recharging gadgets do the 3.0 format ports , giving 4.5 watts.
However, if the laptop is equipped with a USB Type-C , then you can forget about connecting your smartphone to a power outlet forever. A new type of USB is capable of charging devices with a power of up to 100 watts , which means it will not be difficult to quickly fill the battery of a mobile phone and even a tablet through this output.
The poor quality of the USB cable and insufficient adapter specifications can also be the reasons for slow charging. When choosing an adapter, you should pay attention to the current power - an indicator expressed in amperes (A). Previously, this moment had to be taken into account - if the current power was low, the device was charging slowly or “not getting enough” capacity. In this case, it was impossible to "bend" the stick, too much amperage could harm the battery. In 2019, there is no such problem.
You don’t need to worry about the fact that a too powerful current “burns” the smartphone - all gadgets have special charging controllers that do not pass more current than the device can withstand. In addition, high-quality RAM has similar controllers.
How to charge the phone: the main rules
Mobile technology users still remember the rule from the 2000s: discharge the phone to 0%, then fully charge . This rule is relevant only for nickel batteries, which now you will not find "in the afternoon with fire." Most smartphones are equipped with lithium-ion batteries, which can not be discharged to zero - it does them irreparable harm!
In recent years, manufacturers of mobile equipment began to receive information that in order to “maintain” the life of the battery, it should be kept at a level of 20 to 80%. Of course, you can go beyond this, but ideally, you should adhere to the recommendations. In some modern gadgets, the function of automatically cutting off power supply when the capacity is set to 80% is already implemented at the hardware level, or there is a corresponding option in the power settings. Representatives of Asus spoke about this mode. If there is no special function, then nothing prevents you from installing the appropriate software from PlayMarket or AppStore, which will perform a similar task.
- Do not leave a fully charged smartphone plugged in - especially all night. This leads to overheating of the battery and, as a result, to a reduction in its life. To avoid disastrous consequences, the user should pay attention to pulse memories - how they differ from ordinary ones, we will tell later.
- Keep track of temperature . During recharging, the smartphone heats up already - if it is left in the sun, it can easily fail. Of course, the device should not be covered or hidden somewhere. All this is additional heating and, as a consequence, a possible breakdown. Do not forget that low temperatures are no less harmful to the battery. The reference ambient temperature for charging is considered to be 20 degrees Celsius.
- Recharge your smartphone regularly - at least a little. Short-term charging is not a disastrous measure for modern lithium-ion batteries - it is proved by an organization called the University of Battery Research and Production (Cadex) . To be able to energize the gadget in any conditions, it is worth purchasing the so-called Power Bank - an external battery . Our site has already talked about how to choose an external battery for a smartphone.
- Once every three months (but not more often) completely discharge the smartphone and charge up to 100%. This measure will allow you to calibrate the electronics, which is responsible for the correct display of percent charge. A user who neglects such a measure should not be surprised that his gadget “suddenly” turns off at 5-10%.
- Avoid deep discharge . This concept means a long stay of the smartphone in a discharged state. The gadget is exhausted and does not turn on - one of the most common complaints of users claiming warranty service.
An important point is if the phone is planned to be “mothballed", that is, they will not be used in the near future, the battery should be charged up to 50%. In this state, the device must be turned off. You cannot completely discharge or charge a smartphone before sending it to temporary rest.
The recommendation to use only original accessories for recharging is highly doubtful. Of course, it’s better to energize the gadget with the memory that was in the kit. However, if it fails, the user will face a serious dilemma due to an understandable desire to save money - after all, an original accessory is two to three times more expensive than a universal one.
In fact, there is no big difference between universal and original memory . If the universal charging for a smartphone is made by a well-known company, and not by the Chinese know-how, it will definitely not ruin the gadget.
How to charge a new battery?
Follow the advice to discharge and charge a new smartphone three times - a sure way to "ditch" the battery in the first days of use. So it was necessary to act again with nickel batteries - as for lithium batteries, then each complete discharge significantly reduces their life.
Modern gadgets do not have special requirements for the first charge. Users do not need to believe in the “noodles” that the consultants and the “pseudo-experts” of thematic sites “hang on their ears”.
It’s best for the smartphone owner to take the instructions, find what it says about the charging time, and leave the gadget plugged in for the time specified in the manual. After this time, you should disconnect the device with 100% charge from the power supply and then adhere to the rules listed above.
How to choose a charger for your smartphone?
Many of the options that you should pay attention to when choosing a charger for your phone have already been mentioned in this article. In fact, for modern gadgets, the RAM is selected according to the principle - the higher the current, power and voltage, the better. The fact is that a few years ago, powerful charging could really burn the battery. In 2019, power supplies have controllers and modes that determine what is connected to them and based on this they supply current with safe parameters.
Other parameters that are worth looking at when buying are as follows:
- Type All memories are conditionally classified into 2 types: transformer and pulse . Pulse are distinguished by the fact that they are equipped with timers, which are able to automatically stop charging. The fast charge mode of the pulse charger lasts about 4 hours - this time, as a rule, is enough for the battery to gain the bulk of its capacity. Then the energy begins to be supplied in small portions - “pulses” - so that the smartphone does not lose its charge.
It is recommended that all users use pulse charging devices for charging - so you don’t have to worry about the gadget overheating, and calmly leave the “mobile phone” plugged in for the night.
- Construction and design . One-piece memories that do not allow the user to disconnect the wire from the power supply are a thing of the past. Acquiring such a charge is unprofitable , because the gadget owner has to buy a USB cable “in the appendage” to it - if he intends to download data from a PC to a smartphone.
It is more advisable to purchase a cable and an adapter equipped with several ports.
Thanks to this adapter, the user gets the opportunity to charge two or more mobile devices at the same time - for this you only need to buy a second cable, which costs much less than additional charging.
When ordering an adapter for charging on a Chinese site, the user should also pay attention to the type of plug . For Russian outlets, you need plugs of the European standard - an example in the figure above in the upper left corner. However, there is no special sense in ordering an RAM in China today, Russian online stores offer more than a decent selection of high-quality devices with reasonable prices. You can get acquainted with the best options in our rating of network chargers, offered below.
Best AC Chargers
Price: from 1 299 rubles.
Sufficiently budget model with 3 USB-A outputs. The top has support for quick charging Quick Charge (3.0, 2.0, 1.0). Maximum current - 4.2 A, power - 18 watts. The RAM automatically selects the necessary parameters for charging the connected gadget, and also has protection against power surges, overload and short circuit. An option for those who need to quickly and safely charge several gadgets and still not pay a lot of money for it.
Price: from 1 490 rubles.
Stylish charging from Aukey was equipped with a reversible USB-C connector 5 V / 3 A and a classic USB-A port 5 V / 2.1 A. The total power is 25.5 watts. This will safely charge any gadget from the latest iPhone to any tablet. The housing of the RAM is made of high-quality plastic with a Soft Touch coating. The fork, if necessary, is removed in a special niche on the housing, which simplifies the process of storing the unit or carrying it with you.
MOMAX U.Bull (UM3S)
Price: from 1,690 rubles.
A model with an interesting design and access to three connectors. This is a great option for charging Apple equipment and any other expensive devices. The top USB-C port with 5 V / 5.4 A is designed to charge a MacBook or Type-C powered laptops, the two lower USB-A ports of 5 V / 2.4 A are suitable for powering any mobile gadget. Total power - 28 watts.
The RAM has received support from Automax technology that can understand which device is connected to it and provide the appropriate current parameters for safe charging. In addition, protection against overheating, short circuit, high voltage is provided. The power supply has a silicone case in the kit (a red or blue option is available) which has slots for attaching the power cable.
RIVACASE Rivapower VA4125 + Lightning
Price: from 1 890 rubles.
Not the most interesting RAM in terms of performance, but quite convenient and functional. The model is equipped with two USB-A connectors with 5 V / 3.4 A with a total output power of 17 watts. This is enough to simultaneously charge two smartphones or tablets. Included is a removable cable with a Lightning plug 1.2 meters long for charging the iPhone. Charging is available in white or black. A great option for those who need a power supply with a cable in the kit for a reasonable price and with good quality.
Price: from 1 990 rubles.
Belkin accessories are most loved by Apple owners. This is not surprising, since this company does not only high quality, but also very stylish. The model received two outputs - USB-C and USB-A. The first has a current strength of 3 A, the second 2.4 A, the total power is 27 watts. SZU is made of high-quality plastic with high wear resistance, as well as fire-fighting properties. The case is compact enough, which makes it convenient to carry with you. Color: Silver. There is an MFI certification.
ANKER PowerPort Speed 5 Ports 63W
Price: from 2 990 rubles.
A model designed immediately for 5 devices. Suitable for those who have many gadgets at home or in the office. All USB-A outputs, two ports support Quick Charge, the remaining three - PowerIQ (automatic selection of current supply parameters depending on the connected device). The device has a blue LED indicator - by it the user will be able to understand that the RAM is connected to the network. The accessory is small in size, all internal elements are hidden in a case made of high-quality plastic. The total power is 63 W, the maximum current is 12 A. There is MFI certification, that is, Apple officially recognizes this device as safe for its technology.
Unfortunately, domestic users continue to stubbornly believe the common myths about charging mobile devices. They do not even suspect that, seeking, for example, to discharge the batteries of smartphones to the end, they do a disservice to their devices. Recommendations that were stored in the memory of users in the 2000s are relevant for nickel batteries . In modern smartphones, there are lithium-ion batteries , the care requirements for which are completely different.